Friday, February 20, 2009

A bad trip---and an anonymous hero

Last night at about 6:30 I saw the big Fire Engine race through town with the lights on. Not so much an unfamiliar sight, being the 101 freeway right next door induces several calls per month by Station 14 here in Los Alamos locally---but I knew something went down pretty bad because I could hear more sirens coming from the freeway while in the back BBQ room cooking for customers.

I had no idea this accident would be this bad.

I mourn for them deeply. I can see the tree that they hit with the bark peeled off - but not so much appearing for so much destruction. I can see the tire marks of where they went off the road. I visualize what it might have been like in the vehicle and how fast something like this can occur -- a moment away from your surrounding, a drift into the soft grassy median, a panicked twitch in the muscles that causes a fatal over correction the opposite direction - then an instantaneous stop from a high speed upon hitting an old thick tree. Mother fucker....----So much Life gone --so quick and sudden.

A blip of light in the story is the hero that saved the driver. An anonymous witness that ran to the fire consumed car amid the dead bodies and blood, to pull out the sole survivor - the driver. A real act of bravery is inside all of us I hope, which I hope to never have to exercise in any way such as this - but to that hero, I would like to know your name, buy you dinner and talk to you about how you're doing.


I will never take my life for granted. I will hold and love my family everyday ever stronger. I will not be afraid to kiss my son on the face or tell my daughter to slow down and be careful----even though it sounds like a broken record. Keep your eyes on the road and your surroundings constantly--because of real accidents like this - an avoidable one.

No comments: