Friday, October 10, 2008

The War On ----MAYO??


This is a source of HUGE fights between Monica and I when cooking together in the restaurant. I was never against mayo growing up but definitely not the advocate that I am for it today.
Because I have such a curious mind about food nowadays I had no idea how simple and awesome this concoction is so I have hence become a loyal Pro Mayo convert. It's been about four years now that I've been a member of the PM party from an independent.
Monica remains the Anti-Mayo loyalist based only out of what she calls "yuckiness." Whiskey Tango Foxtrot??? - that's all she can say in its defence -- is that it's ....errr "yucky?" She's obviously been taught to hate this - mayo racists come typically from white American, blue collar families smeared throughout the United States. I think she's been a member of the AM party all of her life.

Now when you look at the recipe posted below -- Please tell me how this wonderful french created sauce is yucky? The ingredients to make it are far from foreign to almost any ones diet? It moistens the bread with savory subtle flavor, it provides as an instant dipping sauce for artichokes, blanched vegetables and is the base rudiment to lots of other sauces and dressings (Chipotle Mayo, Ranch, 1000 island Dressing, tartar, etc, etc.)
Maybe Monica should read my blog?

So why do people fervently abhor MAYO? If the only reason is calories, then I don't know what to tell you except maybe exercise more instead. FREE YOUR MIND!
We've damn near divorced over this---I'm serious
__________________________________________________________________
Here’s the recipe adapted from Charcuterie.


1 large organic egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon/5 grams salt
1 teaspoon/5 milliliters water
1 teaspoon/5 milliliters lemon juice (or 2 for a lemony mayo)
1 cup/250 milliliters vegetable oil

Combine yolks salt, water and lemon juice in a 2.5 quart bowl. Fold a hand towel into a ring on the counter and set the bowl in this ring to hold it steady while you whisk. Using a sauce or balloon whip (whisk), stir the ingredients together.


Add the oil slowly while whisking vigorously. It helps to measure out your oil into a cup that pours well in a wire-this stream; alternately you can start your emulsion by drizzling the oil off a spoon, then pouring the oil after the emulsion has begun.

Add a few drops of oil as you begin to whisk; when the emulsion becomes creamy, you may increase the speed with which you add the oil to a thin stream.

From the beginning the mixture should be thick enough to hold its shape and look luxuriously creamy. Add the oil too quickly and it will break, that is, it will turn soupy. When all the oil is incorporated add remaining lemon juice to taste. If the mayonnaise is too thick, it can be thinned by whisking in a little water.

If it breaks, put a teaspoon of water in a clean bowl and start the process over by dribbling in the broken mayonnaise while whisking.
____________________________________________________________________
Bon Appetite! Please let me know what party you fall under, or if independent + undecided.
Clifford

4 comments:

Shell Bell said...

now, now... such harshness over a condiment? Ok; let me go a bit further so as not to be deemed a mayo racist. :) LOVE it with artichokes, certain dips and sometimes on a sammy! but in moderation, a light layer please. Yes, the calorie intake factor is key; but even more so, I have to agree with your wife, the yucky factor. Those who dunk their fries?? ewww!! let me gag! Those who chow down on a hearty sandwich only to come up for air with a mayo mustache? ugh!! So may I remain "bi-partisan" if you will??? does that work?

Big_Red_Dog said...

I I kind of agree with the dunking into the fries--remember in Pulp Fiction when Travolta is telling Sam Jackson about his trip to Amsterdam and in the movie theater you can get a "glass of beer" -- and that at McDonalds they dunk their fries in Mayo!! Everybody cringed---me included.

This made me laugh so hard-

"Those who chow down on a hearty sandwich only to come up for air with a mayo mustache? ugh!! "

Good One :) Being a Bipartisan is cool----I accept that.

Peace Out

Shell Bell said...

ok- so one thing further, I need some kind of explaination here.... what happens to mayo when it has been left out overnight? Say, just a dab left on a knife not washed til morning.... have you ever checked that out? It is a bit disturbing. I am at a loss to even describe what it looks like - umm, rubber cement, not so cemented(?) some sort of gak - as seen on nickalodean (not sure if I spelled any of that correctly) What I ask -happens? Is it alive?

wife #1 said...

I wonder what my husband is always doing on the computer, now I find it includes the war on mayo. And oh yes it has almost come to divorce. But let me tell my side of the story, after 12 years of marriage "someone" must not have noticed that I dip my cheeseburger in 1000 island, I enjoy a bit of tarter sauce with my fish and chips. But apparently "someone" has no memory of my whole wheat turkey wrap that featured Chipotle mayo, ahhhh 3 or more years before we even had the restaurant. I am all about moderation, (when it comes to food), so when I order something in a restaurant that has not stated that it has mayo on the menu, I do not want my order to have any fucking mayo! And as "yucky" as I think mayo is in its truest form, rarely do I say that. I tend to be reminded of what is sucked through a tube,out of someones ass on Dr.90210. So I prefer to be asked "would you care for a few fat deposits on your bun?"